Your bathroom provides an ideal environment for black mold because of the constant use of water and the high levels of humidity. The good news is that you can clean up some of that unsightly shower mold between visits from Twin Falls Idaho, mold remediation professionals. Before you get started, remember a few vital tips:
Vital Tips to Clean Up Unsightly Shower Mold
- Never mix bleach, vinegar, and other cleaning products.
- When you treat the surface mold, hidden growth is still present behind the tiles where you can't reach.
It's good to conduct surface cleaning regularly, but it's still necessary to have professionals visit to get rid of mold hidden by the shower walls, the ceiling, and the floor.
Use a Homemade Solution
You can use undiluted vinegar in a spray bottle. Full-strength vinegar is the most effective, and you don't need to wipe the vinegar away. Within an hour or two, you shouldn't be bothered by vinegar smell anymore. Alternatively, you could mix 1 cup of Borax or bleach with a gallon of water and put this mixture in your spray bottle. The Borax spray doesn't need to be rinsed off, but the bleach spray must be rinsed away. Remember that bleach releases toxic fumes.
Wipe and Scrub Affected Surfaces
It's important that you get the right amount of spray on the shower mold, so that there's an even coating, but not so much liquid that you increase the potential for mold growth. Use a clean cloth or sponge to wipe the area down. Pull out a scrub brush for stubborn areas. Don't use that brush for anything else, or you'll risk spreading mold throughout your home. Moldy grout can be particularly hard to clean.
Replace Grout, Tiles, and Other Surfaces
If you can't get rid of mold stains, there's probably a deeper problem. This should be addressed by professionals. Removing wallboard, tiles, or wallpaper can release mold spores into the air, allowing them to float into other rooms of your home.
Shower mold may be a common occurrence, but this doesn't lessen the severity of this risks of associated with this fungus in your home. Make sure you take steps to clean up and treat mold as soon as you see or suspect its presence.